RENT A CAR IN PORTO
A car will make your visit even more complete as you can comfortably visit the cities around Porto (Braga, Guimarães, Vila do Conde, Póvoa de Varzim, Viana do Castelo, Vila Nova de Gaia, Espinho and much more).
While renting a car is not a very difficult task, it can become a nightmare, so always choose a national or international renowned companies, I hope you do not misunderstand, because there are high-quality local firms and, from my point of view, they provide a service equal or better than the "big" corporations.
The only reason is to feel safer because you will have to provide personal data, credit card, etc.
To make your reservation, usually the Rent a car companies request:
- Identity Card or Citizen Card or valid Passport and Taxpayer Card (if you do not have Citizen Card)
- Driver’s license valid for at least one year
- The driver must have available a valid credit card, Visa Mastercard, American Express, Diners or Visa.
- You can make your booking online and thus ensure that the car is available when you arrive.
Two important points I like to mention are the Security Deposit and the Excess.
Security deposit – Note, that you must leave a security deposit before picking up the vehicle. This deposit is usually the total amount to be paid at the end of the rental + Excess (if applicable) + fuel + … and is blocked on a credit card in the driver's name.
The blocked amount will be refunded in full at the end of the rental period, provided that the vehicle is returned in the same condition and there are no changes to the agreed date of the contract.
It is important to note that the Rent a Car companies do not accept cash deposit, debit cards and prepaid credit cards.
Excess - The rental of a car usually has associated an Excess, which is the amount by which the customer is liable in the event of accidental damage from happening to the car.
The Excess is a common practice with all car rental companies.
The Excess amount is blocked on the client's/driver´s credit card and unlocked when returning the car without damages. These Excess vary from company to company but can range from € 500 to> 5000 € depending on the type of car.
However companies have various kinds of extras that can add to your car rental to reduce the value of the Excess and give you greater protection during the rental, for example a SCDW insurance (super collision damage waiver).
- Pay attention to costs, ask all questions you may find necessary and just close the deal when your doubts are all clarified, often the problems occur due to misunderstandings.
- Always request the total daily cost (rent + insurance + extra + tax + ...), total cost (total value that will charge you when delivering the car), the total security deposit.
- Before you take the car inspect it and report anomalies (scratches, dents, interior, ...) if they are not noted on the rental document, for a better inspection start the rental during the day.